Course Code LVC101
This course is aimed at Nurses, Healthcare assistants, Doctors and Phlebotomists who have the responsibility of taking bloods and inserting cannulas.
At the end of this course, participants should:
- Be able to use the correct equipment to undertake any cannulation and phlebotomy.
- Be confident to take bloods and cannulate safely.
- Be confident to communicate effectively with the patient regarding the procedure they are undertaking.
- Definition of Phlebotomy and Venepuncture
- Professional Practice, accountability and Competency.
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Identification of veins suitable for phlebotomy
- Contraindications and unsuitable veins
- Assessment of and communication with patients
- Obtaining informed consent
- Health and safety: Potential complications
- Infection control and safe disposal of equipment
- Familiarisation with equipment used locally
- Practicing obtaining a venous blood sample from a teaching model
- Practicing cannulation on a teaching model
- Appropriate documentation of procedure
Duration: Full Day
Course Fees: £145 per learner
(Course equates to 7 CPD Points/Hours/Credits)
On completion of this course, each candidate will receive a CPD Accredited Certificate of Attendance.